Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Lacrimal Fluid...Oh yum!

[[Disclaimer: Lacrimal Fluid, for those of you wondering, is the scientific name for "tear"]]

Why do we cry? I wondered that last night as I stood in the bathroom, staring at my own disgruntled {thank you Mike} reflection in the mirror. Hair tangled, face red, eyes wet, bright, deep, pained. Why, I thought, when we get so emotional about something, we release it in the form of salty tears produced by our tear ducts. I'm sure I could look up the medical reasoning [[the "scientific reason" if you will]] But it's deeper than that... Why do we cry? Our first time, when the passion's so intense- we cry. When a loved one dies- we cry. When we are laughing so hard we think our ribs might crack- we cry. When we're scared to death- we cry. When we're just too overwhelmed with the pressures of everyday life- we cry. So many different reasons, all the same reaction. And I thought about it, staring into my own crying eyes, bloodshot, wet with tears, an unimaginably bright cross between green and blue. And I thought- crying is so beautiful. It's the only form of expression when words just truly aren't enough... When the passion, the fear, the happiness, the pain- is so deep that no words could begin to touch the depths of it. There's something precious about crying. In the words of Rob Thomas, "Her tears like diamonds on the floor" Tears are more priceless than any diamond. Sure they're not always a girl's best friend [[especially when their tears of pain and sorrow]] but they're beautiful nonetheless. And I thought to myself- Wow... What he's done to me. The actions that speak so much louder than words... Produces an emotion so strong that no words could explain. Instead I've got this rapid, throbbing heartbeat, pounding and breaking against my ribcage, a sinking feeling inside of me, and these bright blues and rosy red cheeks streaked with tears. The simple fact that he could produce such a horridly lovely feeling from what he had done to me- That's how I knew it was truly over. And that I could never go back to him. In the words, once again, of the wisely lyrical Rob Thomas, "This is all I can take. This is how a heart breaks." Mine is broken. Of that I'm absolutely sure of. You don't truly know what a broken heart is until you've got one. But if there is one piece of advice I can bestow upon you, it's to learn to realize and cherish the beauty in your tears. Those sweet salty drops are carrying your soul in them [[Umm... don't worry- you still have your soul ;) lol]] Really guys... I can't explain the beauty behind crying. It's something that you've got to realize on your own. But damn... Not even every sunrise in a lifetime could add up to the beauty of one single, crystal clear teardrop.

2 comments:

  1. its sad, but also true. you have a way with words

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the men *wiggles eyebrows* Haha just kidding ^_^ But yeah... writing is the one thing [[other than crying]] that I can use to express how I feel when I can't speak <3

    ReplyDelete